I had been wanting to make paleo gummies for ages and finally got the opportunity. This was my first attempt at making them and I’m very impressed with the outcome – so is my little guy! It is his current favourite thing to steel them out of the fridge and run away with the whole container – they must be good, in fact I can vouch that they most certainly are.
Halloween doesn’t have to be all about sugary candy. These make such a nice swap for traditional gummies that are often full of artificial colouring and flavouring. They also make a nice allergy friendly treat for any time of the year.
Here is what I did:
- Mango-Orange Gummies
- 1 cup Kiju Organic Mango Orange Juice
- 2 TBSP raw local honey
- 4 TBSP Great Lakes Gelatin (Orange Container)
- (For the touch of red gelatin I added a few dashes of beet root powder)
- In a small pot, combine juice and honey over medium heat until honey has melted
- Reduce heat to the lowest setting and begin to add one tablespoon of gelatin at a time until it is fully dissolved.
- Once all the gelatin has dissolved, remove from heat.
- Depending on the type of mould you choose, you might need to use a dropper to place a very small amount of gelatin per shape.
- Place in the fridge for 15-20min, smaller shapes tend to firm up faster.
Use different organic fruit or vegetable juice to mix up the colour and flavour of the gummies. Have fun experimenting, the options are endless!
Recipe modified from Bakerita.com