What has happened to our food?
Children today are alarmingly more and more allergic to our food, is it our food or more importantly what has been done to it that that is causing this increase in allergies? With all the GMO’s, pesticide use, poor soil quality, it begs the question. I have spoken with numerous Doctors and our food quality might certainly play a part in what we are seeing today not only in ourselves with an increase in autoimmune conditions, infertility, and food allergies, but also in our Children.
Why are the statistics so striking – 1 out of 3 Children in America suffers from Allergies – ADHD – Asthma – and Autism. Kids are reacting to the unnatural chemicals and pesticides used to grow most food; not necessarily the food itself. One of the problems is GMOs and the chemicals needed to grow and maintain these crops. Another reason is that we use so many chemicals on even organic food – yes even organic food may not be free from all the nasties. Its a big business and farmers are trying to prevent pests from diving into their profit margins. Sadly, old fashion techniques have been long forgotten or covered up.
📌 What can you do!? Educate yourself on where your food is coming from ~
Here are a couple tidbits:
- Buy “Dirty Dozen” list produce organic
- The “Clean Fifteen” list of produce are less likely to contain pesticide residue. You can buy these non-organic with more piece of mind on a tight budget. (Avocado are on that list 👌).
- When you find deep discounts on organic produce ~ stock up and freeze it.
- Eat Local – the produce from your own back yard (or farmers 😉) tends to have higher nutrient value. Food that is grown and harvested locally is usually given more time to ripen.
- Look for the “Non-GMO Project” verification symbol on food. This gives consumers confidence to choose these products even though they may not be organic.
When all else fails just remember “eat less from a box and more from the Earth” – Organic preferably. 💜💚💛